Our power as individuals is multiplied when we gather together as families, teams and communities with common goals.
On this weekend’s episode of your favourite Character-Building Programme, we shall be discussing New Year Resolutions and Expectations. New year’s resolutions are not meant to be mere positive intentions that evaporate as the freshness of the year wears out. Your resolutions ought to be the solution to your challenges of the previous year. Therefore they ought to be well thought out and carried through. Instead of mere expression of intentions, resolutions should be packaged as goals or personal mission statements that carry mandatory force. For the same reason our goals must meet the golden standard of being S M A R T E R, that is:
• Specific (simple, sensible, significant).
• Measurable (meaningful, motivating).
• Achievable (agreed, attainable).
• Relevant (reasonable, realistic, results-based).
• Time bound (time-based, cost limited, timely, time-sensitive)
• Evaluated (assessed and scored)
• Reviewed ( expanded, enlarged or limited)
Some of the resolutions or personal decisions which can be turned into SMARTER goals for great success in 2018 may be found on this list:
• Reading more books (read as a habit).
• Eating healthier (and exercising too).
• Being a nicer person (smile and laugh more, but frown less).
• Spending more time with family and friends.
• Learning something new (being curious to learn).
• Helping people (like practicing more forgiveness).
• Getting organised (Keeping to time and reducing procrastination).
• Making new friends (and rekindling old friendships).
• Thinking more positively (finding joy in each day).
• Improving upon bad habits (like worrying less).
• Teaching empathy (being compassionate and finding the good in people).
• Talking less and listening more.
At the end of the day, we should all determine to make 2018 an outstanding year in personal, family and community goals and accomplishments. Then we are working towards having an outstanding Rivers State that we will all be proud of.
Our guest speaker this weekend is Mr. Churchill Ibeneche, a distinguished private legal practitioner and Researcher in Port Harcourt. He will be sharing with us his insights on the topic, New Year Resolutions and Expectations. Please enjoy the episode.
Our lovely Rivers people, don’t forget to always let your manners speak for you.
God bless and keep you and your families. And God bless Rivers State.
Her Excellency, Justice (Mrs.) Eberechi Suzzette Nyesom-Wike,
the Wife of the Governor of Rivers State
and Initiator of the RivEthics Character Development Programme
You can also listen to and download the Pidgin English version of this Episode below