Our lovely Rivers people, welcome to yet another episode of Rivethics on Radio, our character-building weekend show. Remember that what you focus on grows. So always focus on your goals, not on your fears. Today’s episode is on Achieving your Goals.
Let me reiterate in this episode that we must all accept the challenge of leading goal-driven lives. The art of goal-setting and goal-getting is the secret of most successful people around the world. The power of goals in human development is not limited to achievements and accomplishments. It comes with a character transformation that takes place along the journey to attain your goals. As someone put it, what you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals. We must stop waiting for things to happen. We must go out and make things happen by being goal-oriented. The tragedy of some peoples’ lives is not that set goals were not reached. The real tragedy is that no goals were set to be reached.
The age-wise Earl Nightingale is quoted as saying that people with goals succeed because they know where they are going. Let me add that without goals one is like a sheep that has set sail, but has no destination. The end result of that is underachievement, procrastination, lack of discipline, lack of character development and personal growth.
So much has been written about goals and taught. Let me add my perspective to what the expert in the house today will be saying. There are 5 important things to do about your goals in order to succeed. They are as follows:
1. Divide and Conquer: This means to divide your goals into a set of small, achievable steps, tackle one step effectively and move on to the next one.
2. Fear your fears: Refuse to be afraid of those scary moments when failure seems imminent and reaching your goals seems impossible. Continue on as if the fearful evidence is too weak to stand.
3. Expect Setbacks: Setbacks are part of the process, not the end of it. The right approach is to rededicate yourself to your goals after each and every setback.
4. Learn along the way: As you pursue your goals, take note of the practices and tools that work and keep them, but get rid of the ones that don’t work.
5. Be bold and upfront about your goals. Shout it from the rooftops at each opportunity.
With this brief introduction to a very important personal development topic, let us listen to our guest speaker, Mr. Paul Foh, a renowned Motivational speaker, author, businessman and life coach. He shall be sharing insights on the topic of Achieving your Goals. Please enjoy the episode.
Our peace-loving Rivers people, don’t forget to always let your manners speak for you.
God bless and keep you and your families and God bless Rivers State.
Hon. Justice Mrs. Eberechi Suzzette Nyesom-Wike,
The Wife of His Excellency,
Nyesom Ezenwo Wike CON. GSSRS. POS (Africa),
The Governor of Rivers State
You can also listen to and download the Pidgin English version of this Episode below