Greetings to our amiable people of Rivers State and welcome to another episode of RivEthics on Radio, our character-building weekend show. Please remember that ethics is everything. Without an ethical foundation you will crumble. This episode is titled Social Ethics.
Ethics is a system of moral principles. They affect how people make decisions and lead their lives. Ethics is concerned with what is good for individuals and society. The significance of ethics to civilization and societal well-being is captured in this saying that a man or woman without ethics is like a wild beast loosed upon this world. Some of the most important principles of ethics include the following:
1. HONESTY. Ethical individuals are honest and truthful in all their dealings and they do not deliberately mislead or deceive others by misrepresentations, overstatements, partial truths, selective omissions, or any other means.
2. INTEGRITY. Ethical people demonstrate personal integrity and the courage of their convictions by doing what they think is right even when there is great pressure to do otherwise. They will not sacrifice principle for expediency.
3. TRUSTWORTHINESS. Ethical people are worthy of trust. They are candid and forthcoming in supplying relevant information and correcting misapprehensions of fact, and they make every reasonable effort to fulfill the letter and spirit of their promises and commitments.
4. FAIRNESS. Ethical persons are fair and just in all dealings; they do not use overreaching nor indecent means to gain or maintain any advantage nor take undue advantage of another’s mistakes or difficulties.
5. RESPECT FOR OTHERS. Ethical people demonstrate respect for the human dignity, autonomy, privacy, rights, and interests of all those who have a stake in their decisions; they are courteous and treat all people with equal respect and dignity regardless of gender, age or social status.
8. LAW ABIDING. Ethical people are law-abiding and obedient to rules and regulations relating to their activities.
9. COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE. Ethical individuals pursue excellence in performing their duties. They are well informed and prepared, and constantly endeavour to increase their proficiency in all areas of responsibility.
Let us all strive towards a higher level of ethics at home and in our communities.
Our guest speaker today is Mr. Goodluck Azunwena. He is a brand strategist and founder Port Harcourt to the World Project. He will be sharing with us his insight on the topic. Please enjoy the episode.
Our joyful Rivers people, remember to always let your manners speak for you.
God bless and keep you and your families. And God bless Rivers State.
Mr. Justice Eberechi Suzzette Nyesom-Wike,
The Wife of His Excellency,
Nyesom Ezenwo Wike CON. GSSRS. POS Africa.
The Governor of Rivers State
You can also listen to and download the Pidgin English version of this Episode below